Best option for streaming audio source

Participant count
  • Participant list

GoldCountryCA

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hello,

I have a Kenwood DNR1008RVS head unit. I’d like to get hi res audio to the head unit, but there’s a lot of confusing stuff out there.

At first I was told to get rid of my apple phone because android supports LDAC Bluetooth. I don’t really need to use Bluetooth anyway. Wired is perfectly fine with me. Then, I watched some videos about how android passes audio through components in their phones that alters quality and supposedly iPhones do not. Then… I read about supported file types and iPhones do seem to be limited compared to the galaxy s24ultra I was comparing it to.

What is the best solution? I was looking at dedicated DAPs that can run streaming apps like quboz or tidal when I came across dongle DACs.

So far this is what I’m considering:

1. Existing iPhone 12 Pro Max and buy a dongle DAC (though I’m unsure which dongle DAC)

2. Buy a FIIO M11S DAP

3. Buy a Samsung s24 ultra and buy a dongle DAC (or not buy dongle DAC if usb-c connection directly to HU is appropriate)

The most expensive option is the FIIO M11S, as I will be getting $1000 off the samsung. Though, at this point, I’m not as concerned with the cost, provided it’s not some crazy $1500+ DAP.

I want the best audio experience, don’t mind a wired connection and want to have a device that’s enabled to stream from a hi-res source and play locally stored files.

Thanks!

There is a new in box LG v60 on eBay for $240. Those have a Sabre Ess quad DAC, but I don’t think they’ll be supported for much longer. Getting pretty close to a mid tier dedicated DAP at that price, as well…

The mid tier DAP is probably better. The LG v60 has good audio characteristics, for a phone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...